We all know that on an album the best track (at least in the minds of producers) is usually the lead track. It is a pretty smart tactic to grab the listener’s attention. Now the thing is, why would I choose track 8? Well, I can attribute that to my son who is obsessed with what number a song is on an album and went through a phase where some of his favorite songs were track 8s by various artists. So without further ado, I give you five great 8s.
- “Mediocre” by Two Cow Garage (from the album III) – It’s Two Cow Garage with horns (not shown in the video link). How awesome is that? This one shows not only Shane Sweeney’s talents as a songwriter, but also his range. Plus, it includes the line, “I’ve tried my damndest. Guess I’ll try mediocre instead.”
- “Chad Henne is a Motherfucking Joke” by Dead Schembechlers (from the album Rodriguez to Ruin) – OK, so this hits home for me because I am a Buckeye. But even if you don’t care about Ohio State or Michigan, it’s funny to write a song about a mediocre quarterback.
- “DUI” by Attractive Eighties Women – (from the album Ancient Cry of the Tyrannosaur) – Loyal reader, we don’t advocate driving under the influence, but we do advocate this song. It is two minutes of pure joy about a guy who has to call his girl and explain why he missed their big date.
- “Motorcycle Woman” by Crankshaft and the Gear Grinders (from the album Junkyard Rhythm) – It’s a blues-rock song about a woman with black boots, green eyes, and long black hair…who rides a motorcycle. What more do you need?
- “Nitroglycerine” by The Gories – (from the album I Know You Fine, But How You Doin’) - This is one of those songs about a girl who is nothing but trouble…and not just trouble but “volatile.”