Since it is a Funk Friday and we featured one great female soul vocalist earlier, I thought it fitting to do a list of five female funk and soul vocalists that I find absolutely incredible. If you’re a regular reader, there probably aren’t any surprises on the list. Still, here are five female vocalists that I could listen to anytime.
- Hannah Williams – When you hear Hannah Williams belt out a song, you will hear that this woman has SOUL. Like a lot of singers, she got her start singing in church. If you haven’t heard her, what are you waiting for?
- Sharon Jones – Do I need to explain this one? Sharon Jones is a tremendous singer and performer. Check her out live if you ever get the chance.
- Bettye Lavette – I had the privilege of interviewing Bettye Lavette a few years back. She is as delightful as an interview subject as she is a performer.
- Ruby Velle – Her voice isn’t as big as Hannah Williams, but she brings the soul.
- Hayley Red of The Dustaphonics – She can sound tough, sultry, or sexy, but no matter what tone she uses, she puts some serious soul in her vocals.